Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Balls of Fire! - Brunsvigia orientalis - West Coast - Western Cape - South Africa

I took these photos one day when returning back to Cape Town from a meeting in Vredenburg. Although I was in a hurry, I could not resist to stop and take a few photos. The flowerheads are huge and they can be seen from far. What is amazing of these flowers is that they flower just before the winter rain arrive, usually in March. The fleshy seed develop very quickly and can even get roots while on the flower head, because that time of the year misty conditions in the late afternoon and early mornings supply enough moist for them to germinate. Please note that I do not grow these bulbs, because the weather and soil conditions differ too much from each other in the southern and western cape to grow them successfully from seed. I have tried many years ago and has given up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment