Saturday, July 24, 2010

Big...bigger...best - the love for large flowers

Hippeastrum is my first love. Long before I started to hybridise clivia, the colourful large flowers of hippeastrum fascinated me. Their drawback is only a few flowers per head. I was always wondering what clivias will look like with large flowers. When I started growing clivia I was always on the lookout for clivia with large flowers and pollinating them with each other. It is important to select clivia with flat open flowers with petals that do not curl back. I think the potential is there to breed clivia flowers with a flower diameter of close to 18cm in the future. Many of my clivia with large flowers has petals which is longer than 9cm. I will never know their true potential, because in the area where I grow clivia I am limited to give them only leaf feeding to prevent fungal rot in summer.

Double click on an image to enlarge it in a new window.

No comments:

Post a Comment