Sunday, August 28, 2011

Superior flowers from variegated miniata

In the mid 1990's John Winter gave me few Kirstenbosch Supreme plants. Kirstenbosch rank as one of the top botanical gardens in the world and is situated in Cape Town. Kirstenbosch Supreme is a result of a cross between a group 1 and a group 2 yellow and has a round umbel with dark flowers with yellow and white centers. A photo of it can be seen on the back cover of Clivia Yearbook 2. This plant was crossed again with another old favourite with large yellow flowers called Noyce Sunburst. The result is even a better plant with the majority who has pin striped variegated leaves and large flowers with round umbels that range in colour from yellow to an almost red bronze.  Two years ago I pollinated these plants with each other and the result is a large % of seedlings with better variegation than the parents. I will have to wait a few years to see the flower shape, size and colours. Last year I have pollinated these group of plants again with each other as well as with variegated Chinese broad leaf and variegated LOB with superior flowers to get a wider colour variation on the leaves and broader and shorter leaves. This year I make a few seeds available of these crosses. If interested you can contact me at heingrebe@ymail.com or have a look at my 2011 seed list. Below are photos of the plants in flower taken in 2010. The sad thing to-day is that I cannot trace one of my original Kirstenbosch plants between my collection of approx 150 000 plants as I would like to use it again as a breeding parent with this small collection of plants as the colourful centers of the Kirstenbosch Supreme is missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment