Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Variegated Flowers of my variegated Chinese Clivia

Below are photos of my variegated plant with variegated flowers. In 2008 I have seen photos of such a plant in a Clivia book in China. Since some photos in books are faked, I started to ask around if someone has seen similar flowers on a plant. A collector in Beijing responded positively and told me that he had a couple, but sold them as the flowers are not stable. He could not show me any photos of his plants or where I could look for similar plants. I forgot about them and when I returned to South Africa in November 2009 one of the plants I imported as a seedling a few years earlier had a variegated flower on it. Unfortunately the flower was damaged. The plant come from one of the top 5 growers in China in 2006 who lives in Changchun. It is a relatively small plant with thick narrowish leaves with good variegation on the leaves. When I returned in 2010 from China, it flowered a month after my arrival, again in November. This time with more flowers and one flower with three orange petals - one of them variegated. I took the plant outside the shadehouse to photograph it in natural light.


Note the white flowers on the white section of the flower stem and the variegated flowers on the variegated side. I decided to place the plant in a suuny spot inside my house where it will be exposed to full sunlight for at least 4 hours per day to see the real colours of the flowers as shady conditions usually lead to lighter coloured flowers. Unfortunately I forgot about the plant and remember about it only on the 3rd day - after the sun damaged the flowers a little bit. But at least the true flower colours has become visible. Note the orange rims on some of the flower petals and the darker green variegation that makes the variegation almost invisible.


At the same time another interesting Chinese plant was in flower that produce green tulip flowers every year.
The colour of the flowers changed somehow after a few days in the sun as I placed it with the plant with the variegated flowers in the house. The green of the flowers is still visible to a degree.


The green leaf plant with the green tulip flowers easily produce seed, but the variegated plant produced only one seed a year ago.This year I am hoping to harvest at least four seeds from it. I suspect that the variegated plant will produce a % of offspring with variegated flowers, but will have to wait a couple of years to see the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment